Orientation for my graduate program (MLIS at the iSchool at the University of Washington) began today. For five hours, I sat in a room with almost 70 other people who will be my classmates next week. They will continue to be my classmates for the next 2 years.
My classmates are:
- my dad’s age
- married with kids
- masters at coding HTML…
- already thinking about what to write their thesis about
I (on the other hand) just realized that I left a dangling preposition at the end of the last bullet.
uh oh… still an English major. 🙂
After 2 pieces of pizza and meeting several other overwhelmed classmates, my urge to flee has subsided.
3 things I’m unbelievably excited about the beginning of classes:
- meeting people who share the same level of ‘nerdiness’ with me
- learning about the different areas I could be researching
- attending an event sponsored by iWorld – a group of students who discuss information organization in an international-sense
3 things I’m a little nervous about the beginning of classes:
- not having the knowledge of technology that I should
- having classmates who are just like college freshmen – wanting to know the ins and outs about every little thing on the syllabus – I think some people are “out of practice” when it comes to class
- losing my jump drive again… NO NO NEVER AGAIN
Well, wish me luck! I’m on my way!